The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Hazelwood West Comeback: ’19 Alumn Comes Back to Coach Baseball

Logan Garrick, a former student at Hazelwood West High School and is now the head Junior Varsity baseball coach. Garrick graduated from Hazelwood West in 2019 and then went on to attend Greenville University where he graduated from in 2023 with a Bachelors in Psychology. He made a return to West this year to coach for the baseball program. 

Garrick has been playing baseball since he was just 4 years old, which was the moment he fell in love with the game. His coaching career began in 2020 by joining Maryland Heights Legion Baseball. He began as an assistant Varsity coach, then head JV, and now he is the head varsity coach. Garrick is drawn to coaching because he knows that he will never be able to get away from the game of baseball, nor does he want to. 

“I love baseball and enjoy the opportunity to teach others about this beautiful game,” Garrick shared. 

Returning to West has always been a thought to Garrick. The overall appreciation he has for Hazelwood West was the main driver bringing him back. Garrick said the most important thing he learned at West was he learned what it meant to work hard and have good character. Every teacher and coach he had pushed him to be the absolute hardest worker and possible person he could be. 

“I continue to strive to work hard and have good character in hopes to make all those people who had an impact on my life proud,” Garrick said. 

There have been a few changes in the baseball program since Garrick has played at West. He said the main difference he has noticed is that Coach Manis is now the head of the program and he said he is looking forward to seeing what Manis is going to do. 

“Manis has been in the program for quite some time now and there was no one better to assume that role,” Garrick said. 

Throughout his time playing at West Garrick was coached by Coaches Noble, Stevenson, Paige, Borcherding, and Gentry. He is forever grateful for all of his coaches.

With Garrick coaching for a summer team as well as now coaching the school team there are obviously going to be some big differences. Garrick agreed that the two are very different. 

“When I was playing I always felt that high school ball meant so much more, you represented a whole lot more than just yourself. Playing at West you represent not only the coaches and your teammates but also the school as a whole each time you step onto the field. The atmosphere surrounding a high school baseball game is unmatched as well,” Garrick shared. 

Garrick also noted that the students play a huge role in creating an incredible environment at the games here at West. The students made it hard for the opposing team to play in. That is something that doesn’t exist while coaching or playing summer baseball.