The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Hoops, They Did It Again

South Carolina Gamecocks Defended their Championship Title
Hoops, They Did It Again

The South Carolina Gamecocks defended their championship title. Winning a third National Championship, the Gamecocks clinched the crown by completing a rain-suspended 87-75 win over the Iowa Hawkeyes April 7, 2024. 

South Carolina had thirty second chance points with forty eight points in the paint. Clark was only three of thirteen in the second and third quarter. Clark ended the game scoring thirty points, not enough to pull out on top (ESPN). 

This rematch of South Carolina and the Iowa Hawkeyes took place at Rocket Mortgage Field House. This was the first time since 2007 that the final four was hosted in Cleveland (ORE). Breaking records and winning hearts women’s basketball is evolving. 

Not only has there been an impact on the court but off it too. Top five 2020 high school recruiting classes changing the game with players like Clark have flooded social media. Making verified pages such as bleacherreport an account on Tik-Tok and live tv. More and more people tune in to watch these women grow into a greater game. This is what inspires me and other young athletes’ love for basketball. 

The average female athlete is often looked down upon until proven worthy. Women are just as good as men, even better at times. Showing strength and perseverance with the evolution of three point shoots and fast paced play. Clark and South Carolina have made an impact on individual people but the WNBA institution as well. As we know men and women have not always been paid the same but this year that all changed with a permanent salary of $215,000 and up to $117,500 to the highest paid player.