The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Culinary II Annual Sandwich Competition

Following their unit on yeast bread, Mrs. Firasek’s Culinary 2 classes participated in sandwich

competitions in which they planned, prepped, and plated up one-of-a-kind sandwiches to be served to a group of judges. The competitions began the week of February 19, with the judging taking place on February 22 and 23. The sandwich competitions allowed students to hone their culinary skills in a fun and creative way. Students came up with a unique sandwich idea and demonstrated their ability to execute proper mise en place*. Students demonstrated knowledge of the primary components of one of the most renowned dishes nationwide: the sandwich.

To have a perfectly made sandwich, contestants needed to have a piece of bread, a spread, a filling, and a side to pull the piece together, two of which needed to be homemade components. On judging day, students sat in front of a selected group of teachers and presented their meals.

The winners of the competition are as follows:

2nd hour

Grace Gitau, Sydnee Patterson, Obi Neet, Marissa Kemp.: Homemade pesto chicken sandwich on homemade focaccia bread with a side of Italian slaw.  

3rd hour

Noah Jackson, Calvin Means, Molly Farris, Samiyah Watson: Chicken Philly on homemade French bread with a side of homemade fries and a cookie.

4th hour

Skylar Ludwig, D’Wayne Belk, Braiden Boschen, Lukas Monreal, Robby Taylor: Fried chicken sandwich with a homemade blueberry balsamic glaze with a side of creamy coleslaw.

5th hour

Erin Baker, Samiah King, Joan Ruhiu, Destiny Snead: Alfredo chicken sandwich with an Italian side salad.

“Overall, all the sandwiches tasted great and I was very proud of all the groups,” Firasek said. 

*a French culinary phrase which refers to the preparation required before cooking