The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Death After Drake

Mother and Daughter Dead After Concert

Chicago mother and daughter, Laticha Bracero and Alyssa Cordova, were visiting Saint Louis for a Drake, J Cole and Lil Durk concert on February 13, Cordova loved going to concerts but always wanted her mom with her. 

“They’re inseparable. They are. They’re inseparable.” cousin Nicole Rivera  said. 

Around 12:30 am the 14, the mother and daughter were walking on Olive and 18th when 22-year-old Monte Henderson ran multiple red lights and sped through the light at Olive and 18th. Henderson was going over 70mph and made contact with another vehicle then hitting Bracero, and Cordova.

22-year-old Monte Henderson has been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of armed criminal action.

Bracero died on the scene and her daughter Cordova, died at a hospital close to the incident. Two teen girls from the second vehicle and a 61-year-old woman from a third vehicle were all hospitalized but stable after being treated.

“ I feel like if one of them would have survived, they would have never been able to survive this without the other,” cousin Nicole Rivera said.

Bracero’s sister set up a GoFundMe for her after the news came out. The GoFundMe was set up to help the family pay to get their bodies transported back to their hometown of Chicago, and for their funeral. As of March 18 2024, the GoFundMe has raised over $40,000

The two were inseparable and even though Cordova was in college she always found time to be with her mom. Concerts were their way of bonding, staying close and in contact while she was in college.

What happened to Cordova and Barcero shows that no matter what or where people find themselves doing, being careful and watching out for other drivers, people, and anything else is essential. Even if perceived as safe to proceed, double checking surroundings is a necessity.