The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

St. Louis Cardinals: Season Projection

St. Louis Cardinals: Season Projection

After a franchise worst season the St. Louis Cardinals have had an eventful off season. Whether it’s welcoming back coaches, players and former cardinals who are returning from other teams. It’s safe to say that no matter where this season goes it’s going to be thanks to this eventful offseason. 

After a 71-91 record it was believed that Head Coach. Oliver Marmol, would not be welcomed back this season. During the off-season however he was signed to a 2-year contract. This very controversial decision has sparked some outrage but only time will tell if this was the correct move or not.

St. Louis Legend, Matt Carpenter, was also brought back for a 1-year contract as a designated hitter. Carpenter left St. Louis in 2021 and spent his 2022 season with the New York Yankees and his 2023 season with the San Diego Padres. Even though this is likely his last season, the return of Carpenter is very welcome.

What was likely the biggest positive last season has returned in right fielder Jordan Walker. Who shined last year with outstanding field play and a regular season batting average of .276. Being only 21 years old it’s safe to say that he has a very bright career in front of him.

These were just a few of the trades and signings this offseason. After a monumentally terrible season last year Cardinal fans can only watch with the hope 2023 was a fluke and with all the moves this offseason maybe 2024 can be a winning season.