The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Teacher Spotlight: Karl Herman

Karl Herman has been teaching for a total of 25 and ½ years and 23 of them have been spent teaching many different classes at Hazelwood West. Herman teaches a bundle of classes ranging from; Aerospace Engineering, Astronomy, Digital Electronics, Drone Pilot Certification, Engineering Design and Development and Honors Physics.

Herman just won Teacher of the Year for Hazelwood West High School. His plan all along has been to be a teacher, so when he won he said it was a very humbling experience to have won that award. He said he is very grateful for Mr. Joshua Winstral who nominated him and all of the staff who voted for him to win. Make sure you go and congratulate Herman on this accomplishment. He will be interviewing in the near future to try and win Teacher of the Year for The District of Hazelwood as well.

Herman’s favorite class to teach out of the 6 he offers is Drone Pilot Certification. Getting your drone pilot license can open up many opportunities in the flying industry. 

He said “It’s my favorite class to teach because it can lead students to a direct outcome such as getting their drone pilot license shortly after high school.”

In Herman’s Drone Pilot Certification class students participate in the Samsung Solve for Tomorrow competition. The competition consists of students presenting an idea on how they will make drones more efficient, and useful throughout the world. Last year Mr. Herman’s class was a finalist in the state competition. 

“I love the Solve for Tomorrow Grant because I get to watch all of my students come together and present great ideas for the grant.” Herman said. 

In Herman’s 25 years teaching he’s loved spending 23 years being a Wildcat. He’s only taught at 2 schools in his career, Hazelwood West High School, and North Greene High School up in Illinois. Herman’s favorite memory of his career here so far has been meeting Mrs. Nancy Firasek.

A quote he lives by is, “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right,” said Henry Ford. To Herman this quote means. You can do what you think you can. You are the one in control.  The only person in life that can ever stop you, is you.