The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Alumnis of West

West fosters many students’ creativity and helps fuel their dreams. With many departments and classes readily available to students it is perfect for students trying to find a career. Not everyone has to go the typical college route, or even go at all! Highlighted today are 3 Hazelwood West alumni ranging from 2023 to 2014. 

Kelsey Donohue: Now vs. Then

Kelsey Donohue attended Hazelwood West and graduated in 2014. Donohues favorite memory from her time at West was her fishing field trip in her outdoor education class. Her biggest high school regret was not taking more opportunities like clubs, leadership roles, and classes. After high school, Donohue attended Missouri State University followed by Webster University. After graduation, Donohue’s life was very similar but with more freedom, She specifically remembers traveling to see her friends at their different colleges. 

Donohue remains in contact with her friends from high school and sees them regularly. One thing that Donohue learned after high school that she wishes she had known before is “That learning is something that you continue to do all the time. I wanted to get good grades in high school, but I understand that learning is so much more than an A.” Now Donohue is a history teacher at Bayless High School.

Jaylin “Herb4K” Gowe: Now vs. Then

Jaylin “Herb4K” Gowe attended Hazelwood West and graduated in 2023. Herb4Ks favorite high school memory from his time at West was when he secretly threw a concert in the school bathroom. His biggest high school regret was “Not taking Spanish class smh… I’m missing out on so many beautiful women that don’t speak English.”  

After high school Herb4K did not attend college. After graduation Herb4Ks life changed a lot, he has a surplus of free time and he is able to travel a lot more. Herb4K does not remain in contact with most of his friends due to them not contacting him. One thing that Herb4K wishes he knew before graduation was how to build credit early. Now Herb4K is a musical artist with over 10k monthly listeners on Spotify with multiple out of state performances under his belt.

Morad Ishtawi: Now vs. Then

Morad Ishtawi attended Hazelwood West and graduated in 2015. Ishtawis favorite highschool memory is just having fun times with his friends after school. His biggest highschool regret was caring of what others thought of him, “Trying to impress people or trying to fit in gets old. Be who you are and own it.” After high school Ishtawi attended Lindenwood University. 

After graduation Ishtawi felt under the pressure of the real world, knowing that the decisions he would make had an impact on him and others. Ishtawi is not very close with highschool friends, “To get where I wanted to be took a lot of discipline and time. Not everyone will understand your hustle.” One thing that Ishtawi wishes he knew before graduation was to be patient, “In this fast paced world we live in, we forget to be patient and really enjoy life.” Now Morad Ishtawi is a successful business owner of Puzzles Hookah Lounge on the Delmar Loop.

Whether you own businesses, teach, or make music, Hazelwood West ensures you have the tools to succeed whether your path is conventional or not.