The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Teacher Spotlight: Cordez Vaughn

Cordez Vaughn is being spotlighted for being a wonderful teacher and football coach at Hazelwood West.

Being an educator is most definitely a selfless job, but Vaughn is an SSD (Special School District)  teacher which requires even more heart. At West, he primarily teaches math and helps kids with learning disabilities. 

My main focus as a teacher at West HS is to help students understand that they can be successful when they put forth the effort,”  Vaughn said. 

Vaughn values keeping healthy relationships with his students to keep the classroom a more comfortable environment. He truly knows how much a safe learning environment impacts student learning and educational experience. 

“I want to foster positive relationships with my students. I also want to model positive relationships with my students so that they can see and do the same with their peers in the classroom.” Vaughn said. 

Vaughn has past football experiences like playing Defensive end and outside linebacker in high school. He had lengthy achievements like becoming the CO-MVP of his school and making the Mississippi High School All-Star game, Where he sacked the legendary Steve McNair 2 times. He uses the knowledge that he gained then to coach at Hazelwood West. Vaughn believes that the fundamentals are what is important in football. 

“My focus when it comes to coaching is to teach student-athletes the fundamentals of the game. I want to share as much as I can with them about the game so that they can be successful on the field.” Vaughn said.

More achievements Vaugn ‘s achievements range from leading football programs to countless championships as a coach and helping players build their dreams while going on to play college ball and potentially even the NFL.