The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Teacher Spotlight: Susan Fajatin

The Hazelwood West High School journalism program has decided to highlight Mrs. Susan Fajatin, a former Family And Consumer Science teacher at Hazelwood West Middle School and a current FACS teacher at Hazelwood West High School. Fajatin speaks to her life outside of school, spending time traveling for softball with her two daughters. 

Most of the time she travels to other places for softball, especially during summer time. Fajatin says she spent three out of four weekends away from home just because of softball and that it can be difficult to make time to bond with her daughters during this time. 

“There is not necessarily much bonding,  some days  you might have three games in a day so you’re really not bonding, you’re just transporting humans places,” Fajatin says. 

As a teacher whose daughters play travel ball, it’s obvious that traveling could cause a disturbance in either parent’s or student’s presence at school. Fajatin claims after the school softball season ends, she finds herself having to take off only a couple of days due to travel.  Luckily nobody misses school too often because it is during the summer. 

Even though she travels with her daughters often, sometimes schedules cannot be lined up the way we want them to be. Fajatin, expresses there are times she is not with the girls but she is always still there in spirit supporting them through a simple facetime, text message, or even watching the game live from her phone.

Traveling frequently can often affect all mental, physical and financial health. Fajatin explains that it is a lot of money and when she does travel, she brings a lot of things along helping them, and the families around them financially. She informs us that the team will have cookouts together, bring snacks and stuff just to save everybody some money and by doing these things that help financially, 

“I just try to help my wallet which helps my brain, you know, not be so stressed out that we have, you know, we have these mouths to feed, we’re out of town and you can’t bring your refrigerator with you. I wish!” Fajatin says.

Fajatin cherishes being able to support her kids whether they win, or lose;  being there for them is enough to fulfill her. Even though softball might take most of your free time away when traveling away, there has to be some  free time. 

“Usually, I try to do something fun because our little one is usually with us so whether it’s mini golf or laser tag or bowling or we just do something to benefit the kids that aren’t playing.” Fajatin says. 

As traveling has become a routine of Fajatins, the family has found a way to keep a positive and adventurous attitude around their busy schedules. 

“Even though I haven’t been to the beach in a while, [when you are traveling so often] you start finding your favorite restaurants to eat at in different locations, or things you want to do or see and that becomes one of the best parts.” Fajatin says.

Susan Fajatin is not only a mom that takes time out of her life in the afternoons and weekends to support her kids, but also is a teacher at Hazelwood West High who makes learning about Family And Consumer Science  relatable and fun.