The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Detroit Lions First Divisional Win 2023-2024

Team History

The Detroit Lions franchise started as the Portsmouth Spartans in Ohio in 1930. Detroit radio executive George A. Richards had purchased the franchise, moved it to Detroit, and called it the Lions in 1934. In year two of the new franchise, they won the NFL championship against the New York Giants, 26-7 back in 1935. During the 1950s, the Detroit Lions won three championship games against the Cleveland Browns in 1952, 1953 and 1957.

Divisional Win After 31 Years

The last time the Lions won a Divisional game was back in 1991 against the Dallas Cowboys with a fantastic score of 38-6. In the 2023-2024 season, the Lions had an incredible season with a record of 12-5. Nobody had expected the Lions to come out strong this season by beating the Kansas City Chiefs, also known as the back-to-back Super Bowl champs. The Lions had their downfalls against one of the best teams in their division but still managed to come with close games. But on week 18, the Lions knocked the Minnesota Vikings from going to the Wild Card with an advantage score of 30-20. The Wild Card game against the Los Angeles Rams would be an interesting case for both quarterbacks. Jared Goff (Detroit Lions quarterback) and Matthew Stanford (Los Angeles Rams quarterback) had played on the opposite team and faced off their former teams where they were initially drafted. This game was so important for both quarterbacks to seek revenge on their former teams. This battle to reach the divisional championship was brutal, but the Lions managed to end up with a Coles game win with a score of 24-23. The Lions moved on toward the divisional championship, one of the most important games for the franchise that hasn’t come close to in 31 years. Thanks to their hard work throughout the season, they won against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with a score of 31-23.

Did You Know?

The Detroit Lions started the Thanksgiving Day football game tradition in 1934 and have played on the holiday every season since.

Team Facts

• Seasons: 94 (1930-2023)
  • Winningest Coach: (W-L-T) Wayne Fontes (66-67-0)
  • Super Bowl Titles:0
  • Record going into the 2023 season: (W-L-T) 579-702-34
  • Playoff Record: 7-13
  • Most Career Yards Rushing: Barry Sanders, 15,269(1989-98)
  • Most Career Yards Passing: Matthew Stafford, 45,109 (2009-20)
  • Most Career Receptions: Calvin Johnson, 731(2007-15)
  • Most Career Sacks: Alex Karras, 100 (1958-70)
  • Most Career Interceptions: Dick LeBeau, 62 (1959-72)
  • Most Career Points: Jason Hanson, 2,150 (1992-2012)
  • Current Team Owner: Sheila Ford Hamp