The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

New in Style: Prom

rawpixel.com
Free glitter high heels image, public domain shoes CC0 photo.

With prom right around the corner at Hazelwood West High, students might be struggling to find the best outfit to wear for the special night. With no shortage of options for any type of person, the prom shopping experience can seem overwhelming at times. In order to ease some trouble with figuring out what’s ‘in’, here’s some of the most popular dress and suit designs for 2024:

Prom 2024 Dress Trends:

Square, Scoop and Sweetheart Necklines- With both straight edge styles and luxurious draping appearing in big brands this year, expect to see lots of square, scoop and sweetheart necklines. Dresses that are off the shoulder or have very small straps are very fashion-forward.

‘90s Vibes- With the vintage fad continuing to rise, we are sure to see ‘90s styles– which have already made waves in day-to-day fashion — manifest in loads of gowns this prom.

Ruffles- One of the biggest trends this year is beautiful ruffles on dress skirts. Whether your dress is poofy or slim, ruffles are a fun option you don’t want to miss out on.

Floral- For a flowy and whimsical touch this spring, try out a floral look at prom. The maximalist look will certainly be sought after this year.

Sheer- With names such as Saint Laurent, Chanel, Givenchy, Prada and Valentino showcasing sheer styles in their 2024 collections, see-through fabrics are moving from the runway to the dance floor and are sure to be turning heads this year at prom.

Beading and Rhinestones- Beads and rhinestones have undeniably been at the forefront of prom looks in recent years, but expect even more bling on dresses this year, especially when partnered with sheer and corset dresses, possibly even with floral patterns.

Prom 2024 Suit Trends:

Visible Jewelry- With small details catching eyes this season, visible jewelry will be a MUST for masculine outfits. To really level up your suit or button-up, think about adding rings, chains, bracelets or earrings. 

Full Length Pants- Prom 2023 saw a flood of high-waters, but don’t bet on that being the case this year. If you’re following what’s in, opt for full-length pants instead.

Patterns- Coming in all sorts of styles, patterned suits are sure to offer any vibe you want to express while allowing you to stand out from the crowd.

Sneakers- Sneakers have been a prom staple for years and this classic look doesn’t seem to be going out of style any time soon. Exchange your dress shoes for sneakers to bring some freshness to your outfit.

Retro Influence- Retro-inspired trends can be seen in spring 2024 collections from Ferragamo, Bally, Louis Vuitton, The Row and more. Wearing suits of old-school colors, fun fabrics and unique silhouettes (like velvet or flared pants) that pay homage to vintage fashion will get you lots of compliments this season. 

The Beaded Tux- The beaded tux is sure to be a hit for prom ‘24. For those who enjoy an extra flare, think about adding beads or rhinestones to the shoulders, cuffs or back of your suit jacket.

Biggest Trends of the 2024 Prom Season:

Dress Trend:

Corsets- The corset dress has been trending for several seasons and will continue to be the “it” dress in spring of 2024. With chic, elegant silhouettes, corsets make a stellar choice for prom 2024, and will undoubtedly be seen all around this season.

Suit Trend:

Bow Ties- Make sure to get yours soon because everyone’s going to want them: bowties are IN for prom 2024! The classic look can really help to elevate your style from bland to bold, while maintaining a sophisticated touch. Be ready to see these EVERYWHERE.

Trendiest Colors:

Dress Trends:

Pastels- Dreamy colors. Light blue, blush pink, soft purple, sage green.

Reds- Burgundy, bright red.

Whites

Suit Trends:

Classic- Black, navy, gray, white.

Dark colors- Emerald green, dark purple, burgundy, deep blue.

Pastels- Partnered with neutral colors.