The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Wildcat Post

Rumors and How They Affect People

Rumors and How They Affect People

Everywhere you go it is inevitable that people will be telling rumors but the most common place is schools. People don’t realize that they are potentially ruining a person’s life and more people need to realize that so that the spread of rumors can stop. 

People who are targeted for people to gossip about are people who are being affected mentally. When people are affected mentally, that also affects a person’s health.  When other teens spread rumors about someone, that can make a person feel unpleasant and cause them to go into a state of sadness. An article tells how fake news can make someone feel helpless or powerless and make someone lose control of all their feelings. The article was, (Rumors, Gossip, and your health). 

Rumors can exclude the targeted person from social interactions with other people. When others spread rumors about a person it can make other people perceive a false image and make other people not want to associate with the targeted person. In an article, it states how rumors can alienate a targeted person’s friends and how they can ruin someone’s reputation. The article source is, (Understanding The Impact Of Rumors).

The spread of misinformation can be very damaging. When people are spreading false news that creates this misunderstanding and confusion. When people are spreading lies, it can harm a person not just the targeted person but society as a whole. Trust ends up getting lost when there is an assortment of fake news going around. In an article, it states how misinformation can make a person feel mental and social distress due to the spread of false information. The article source was, (Misinformation Negatively Affects People’s Health Behaviors). 

After seeing the effects rumors can have on a person. Decide if it’s better to make a person feel alone or depressed or make a person feel included and happy by not spreading fake news. Which person sounds better, the person who spreads fake news and ruins a person’s reputation or self-esteem OR the type of person who makes a person feel like they have good friends and people who don’t tear them down?